Which Pet Fits My Lifestyle?
Picking a Pet That Fits Your Lifestyle
Bringing a pet into your life brings joy and love, along with a ton of parental responsibilities. From walking your dog to cleaning out your fish tank, there are so many things to think about. Each pet is different, just like humans are different. They have different needs and some require more attention than others. If you’re thinking about expanding your family with the addition of a pet, here are some things to think about when deciding if a pet fits your lifestyle.
Tips to Figure Out Which Pet Fits Best with Your Lifestyle
When considering what kind of pet fits in to your family, you have to take your lifestyle into account. Different pets need different amounts of attention. Certain pets need to be fed multiple times a day or walked. If you work from 8:00am to 5:00pm, it might be hard to have a dog (unless you get a dog walker), when you add in commute times.
- Dogs – The highest maintenance of all house pets. Need to be walked 2-3 times a day, depending on the breed. They typically need to be fed more than once a day. They also need a lot of affection. If you have a job where you are away from home all day or travel for work, a dog might not be the best pet for you, unless you’re willing to hire a dog walker or dog sitter when you’re away throughout the day and on business trips. Dogs require a lot of your time and attention.
- Cats – Cats are actually pretty low maintenance, but they do still require things like cleaning the litter box every 2 or 3 days. They need affection, but if you know cats, you know that’s on their terms most of the time. Cats are good for someone with a busy work schedule, as they are self-sufficient.
- Fish – Perfect for a busy working professional or someone that doesn’t want to have to clean up after their pet very often. They also can go a couple days without food, if you really need to push it if you go out of town for a long weekend.
- Bird – Very low maintenance and they require very little attention. You can clean out their cage once every 1-2 weeks, depending on your preference. Another pet that is perfect for a working professional or someone with a very busy lifestyle.
- Reptiles – Also low maintenance and great for a someone with a busy schedule. They hardly require any attention other than cage cleaning and filling up their water with fresh water every couple days.
- Pocket Pets – Another lower maintenance option and one that’s great for anyone with a crazy work schedule. If you go on short work trips, you could get away with having a hamster or guinea pig, but not if you’re gone for more than 2 full days.
Another thing you need to consider when deciding if a pet fits your lifestyle is the personality of the pet. If you want a pet that is going to follow you around all the time and be your best buddy, you probably wouldn’t want to get a fish. Pets all have different personalities, and depending on what you’re looking for in a pet, their personality is a big part of deciding whether a pet fits in with you and your situation.
- Dogs – These pets are full of vitality and life. They require a ton of attention and they are usually pretty needy. If you want lots of love in your life, a dog is great way to accomplish that. They are animated and will follow you to the end of the earth. If you’re looking for a loyal pet, a dog is for you.
- Cats – Cats are independent creatures, but they do need love and affection. They aren’t the most lovey-dovey of pets, but they are known to show affection every now and then. If you’re someone that likes affection but doesn’t need it all the time, a cat might be good for you.
- Fish – As much as we would love to sit here and tell you that a fish has a bunch of personality, they probably have the least amount of personality out of any of the pets we have talked about. But if you’re looking for a pet that requires zero physical interaction a fish could be a great fit.
- Reptiles – It may be weird to think of your reptile having personality, but pets like bearded dragons and iguanas actually do like to get out and about and socialize with their owners. But they aren’t going to be able to snuggle you or anything, at least very comfortably.
- Pocket Pets – Pets like hamsters, guinea pigs, hedgehogs or chinchillas are so cute and small but they’re known for having some spunk. If you want a low maintenance pet with personality, a pocket pet might be a good choice.
Some pets are more expensive than others. Take into consideration your monthly and annual budget when deciding if this particular pet fits in with the way you life your life. You probably won’t take your fish to the veterinarian, so you don’t have to factor that into your budget when figuring out if you can afford a certain pet or not.
- Dogs – Dogs cost almost as much children do. OK, maybe not that much, but they are the most expensive pet you can own. They require vet visits, shots, booster shots, food and a bunch of other things that cost money. If you’re looking for a budget friendly pet, a dog might not be your best option.
- Cats – Not as expensive as dogs, but still cost quite a bit when you consider food and supplies for the litter box.
- Fish – If you have a fresh water fish, your expenses will be a whole lot less than if you have a salt water tank. Setting up a salt water aquarium can actually cost you thousands of dollars, and maintaining it can you cost around the same depending what you’re trying to accomplish. You also need to take into account electricity usage, as the tank is always on and will cost money to run throughout the year.
- Reptiles – Relatively inexpensive after initial set up, as they really only require food and bulbs for the heat lamp.
- Pocket Pets – These guys are also very inexpensive, and are great for any person that wants a budget friendly pet. Food and shavings for the ground are really the only things that you need to purchase on a consistent basis.
All-Inclusive Pet Sitting Services in Manhattan
From dogs to cats, fish to pocket pets, we provide all-inclusive pet sitting services for Manhattan. Our reliable, friendly and professional pet sitters are ready to help you with any and all of your pet sitting needs from walks to overnight stays. We have experience with all types of pets, and are ready to accommodate you and your pet no matter the circumstance. Join our Bingo Pet Care family today, and let us make your pet, our priority.